Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Milestone

When we celebrated our first year of marriage, we were giddy and marveled over the fact that we had all ready been married one whole year.

We made grand plans for our tenth anniversary, wondering where we would be and what life would look like.

This day, this very moment, we celebrate that milestone.

Ten years has seen growth that I never imagined nor knew I needed.

A dear friend wisely told me you can't measure sanctification in days or weeks or even months, but rather years.

During this ten years, there has been the growth that is tangible, measurable - kids, jobs, moves, trips... ebenezers to mark the years passing and progressing.

Yet far more than what the eye can see, there has been the intangible.  Those things you can't put into words yet you know.

And how to express any of it, much less all of it?

He has loved me with a relentless love.  He has shown me unending grace.  He has been steadfast in pursuit of me, bearing with me in his quietly patient way.

He has let me struggle - he has let me push him away - and then gently pulled me in, wrapped his arms around me and prayed for me.

If ever there was a picture of Christ and his bride, it would be this husband to his wife.
I've learned he's not going anywhere.  I've learned nothing will come to light that will make him walk away.  I've learned his hope is in something far greater than me being a "good" wife and I need to walk in the freedom that allows me.

The struggles still come, some days harder than others.  But what I remember when the days are long and the enemy deceives is the grass is always greener on the other side but it's all in perspective, or rather, the filter that has been placed over it.

Those that have walked with us and know the hardships and successes and failures and fights and confessions and victories remind us that these ten years are but a picture of God's grace and mercy and the next ten will only bring so much more.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment