Thursday, October 4, 2012

Live Like That

If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.  Set your minds on the things above not on things that are on earth.  For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.  When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
 
Colossians 3:1-4
 
Completely convicted today over this... "Set my mind on the things above... my life is hidden with Christ in God...when Christ, who is my life...
 
Do I live like that?  Do I pursue the higher, holier, godlier things?
Or do I settle for simple earthly passings?
 
If Christ is my life, if I claim to be a "Christian", does my life actually look like Christ's?  Does my life and the way I live reflect the true state of my heart?
 
Too often we can look good. We can go through the motions of conforming outwardly.  Bow our heads.  Give glory to God.  Claim Christ.
 
All the while we're walking in our earthliness, chasing things the world has deemed important.
 
Why?  If we know what his Word says and what we should do, why does our life look like everyone else around us, even those in our church?
 
We don't take seriously the Word of God. 
We do the "yeah...but."
 
"Yeah, I know it says to put to death sexual immorality, but how far is too far?"
"Yeah, it says to put away all anger and malice, but you'd be really upset if they did that to you."
"Yeah, I know it says wives are to be submissive to their husbands but that was a different time and culture."
 
That's what we do.  We take God's living, active, unfailing Word and twist it.
 
You know who else twisted the truth? 
Satan...
From the very beginning.  Did God really say...?
 
It all hinged on that phrase.  Was Eve going to take God at his Word -- setting her mind on the things above -- or choose to satisfy the earthly, fleshly desire warring inside her?
 
It's a daily choice - inviting the Spirit to fill you - so you might walk in the newness of life and pursue Christ as your life.
 
Because on your own your flesh will eventually become evident.
The fruit you bear reveals what you are rooted in.
 
The eternal treasures of Christ or the fleeting trinkets of this world is a choice.
 
Put on then as God's chosen, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility,
meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another,
forgiving each other, as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive...
Colossians 3:12-13

No comments:

Post a Comment