Thursday, September 6, 2012

Little Lessons

I have this scrap of paper that hangs on my refrigerator.  No matter how many times I clean and organize, it stays with me. 

Ordinarily orange, in the shape of a triangle, it bears one word.  Rejoice.

Obviously handmade.
Obviously the work of a young child.

More than a treasured, "Mom, look what I made you" piece of artwork, it's a reminder that the Lord uses my children to minister to me, to teach me, to encourage me.

And to remind me that everything comes full circle.

We had had a difficult week with difficult news.  As we walked the boys through the difficulty, we reminded them of a verse we had learned.  "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances."

I found myself severely lacking what I had taught them.  Colten became enamored of the word rejoice, writing it on every surface available.

One day, in the midst of typical hurriedness and frustration and meltdowns, I wasn't responding well to anything.  He kept trying to slip a piece of paper in my hands and without looking, I would tell him, "Thanks, can you please go do what I asked you to do?"

Over and over, he would place it in my hand, no matter that I was running to and fro trying to get us ready.

I finally received it, but not very graciously.  Never once cutting my eyes to it, I simply pushed it to the side of the counter and went on doing whatever was so extremely important I can't recall.

Hours later, after being home, exhausted and worn out, he brought me the paper.

I finally looked at it and saw what was so important to him.

He was reminding me what I had been teaching him.  To rejoice always, no matter if it's a simple day or a day filled with aggravation.

My freckle faced babe had known what I needed most and lovingly petitioned me to take notice.

So my hand-cut, painstakingly colored triangle stays...For both of us to remind ourselves that rejoicing is what gives us joy, in all circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment