Thursday, September 6, 2012

Rejoicing and Mourning

Today I received the joyous news that my friend's sweet baby was being discharged from the NICU and is allowed to go home.

Today I received the difficult news that a dear friend would be starting medication to start contractions to have the baby that has ceased having a heartbeat.

At a crossroads of emotions, which wins?

The mourning sits heavy, causing my heart to reflect on what I believe.
It overshadows the deep desire and want to rejoice.

In a moment of frailty, I'm reminded of the despair.
In a moment of pain, I'm reminded of the brokenness.
In a moment of mourning, I'm reminded my hope is not here.

Yesterday found me receiving pictures of another friend's precious arrival while holding the hand of another who had just suffered a miscarriage.

Mourning and rejoicing; so closely intertwined but one always looming larger than the other.

In the grief, I remind myself of all that was lost in the Fall.  It has been rightly and so wisely said that if you do not understand where we've fallen from (perfect community with God and no shame), you can't understand the dysfunction we now live in (a fracture of what was).

Yet, a flicker of hope stays lit no matter how hard the buffeting winds of death and destruction blow.

Right now, we live out sin and shame, tears and confusion.  Temporarily, for the end does come no matter what you believe.

But one day, He returns to redeem all that has been lost and marred.  He becomes the gospel in action once again.

For those that have received salvation and believe in the powerful name of Jesus Christ, this is what we cling to in the wake of devastation.  Our hope secured, our joy never ceasing.

Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.  Romans 12:15

When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Matthew 9:36

No comments:

Post a Comment