Thursday, August 16, 2012

Simple

I have stoic 3 year old.

He's silent, brooding, not exciteable. 

The other night he got hurt. Tumbling around outside with the brothers as I finished up dinner, I heard him start to wail. 

No sooner had I put down the dish towel when he comes limping in.  Tears streaming, jaw set, bewildered look.

I sank to my knees and gathered him in my arms.  Kissed his damp cheeks over and over, whispering I was sorry he was hurt. 

He pulls away and heads back outside.

I call after him, "Are you ok?"  "Do you want the ice-pack?"

He shakes his head no.

I sit there, a bit confused.  Had he not just been screaming like a leg was broken two minutes before?  Had he not had enough tears to fill an ocean?

A kiss and a hug were all that was needed to fix it.

All he wanted was mom.  To know that I cared.  To know that I would stop what I was doing and take on whatever had caused his pain.

I love those moments where "mom" is enough.  I'm not a superhero, but darn if my kids don't sometimes make me feel like one.

No comments:

Post a Comment