Friday, August 17, 2012

What am I Known By?

As usual, you meet a myriad of people when you hold a garage sale.
I had this lady somehow call me on the phone to discuss an item that was being sold.

Mistakenly, I thought she was from our church since she had my e-mail and phone number...

A little creepy in hind-sight but lesson learned.

Anyhow, she shows up to the garage sale and through talking, I finally realize my blunder.

In talking, we discover that we've grown up in the same area and graduated from the same high school.  She was a year ahead of me, in the class of my husband.

I proceed to ask the same sort of questions you normally ask a complete stranger in trying to pin point exactly how you know them.

Finally, she comes up with why I should know her.  And I should know her by the best friends she had in high school...

Did I mention the time period we're talking about is from ten years ago?

And her way of being known was by the company she kept?

Let's just be stripped down honest (since I'm learning to be better at that and practice makes perfect).

The guy she mentioned?  I'm not a fan of and I'm not sure if there actually were any fans of him except those that wanted star status.

Brief recap: (and he remains nameless to protect his guilt)
He was the guy that nicknamed himself.  He nicknamed himself a legendary superhero (I'm not talking the Green Lantern here).  He even put the emblem of said hero on the back of his letter jacket.

Uh-huh.  That guy.

So yes, I knew him.
He owned the hall as he walked, with his minions trailing behind him.  And if you were on first-name basis with him, by golly, you had made it in this little world we call high school. Hence, I'm sure that's why she threw his name in the "how should I know you question."

Safe to say, he had no clue who I was.
Safe to say, I couldn't even tell you his last name, because, remember - he had the superhero emblem on the back of his jacket - not his last name.  Because... that is way too common. 

And this, this was her claim to fame.

"Dear Lord," I asked later on, mulling over this short-lived conversation, "please let me be fully aware of what my claim to fame is."

And if it's anything less than a sinner saved by grace, covered by the blood of Jesus Christ, I have epically failed.

No comments:

Post a Comment