Friday, July 13, 2012

Accepting the Sharpening


I want, more than anything, to be a breath of fresh air, be encouraging, be loving and compassionate, be the iron that sharpens.

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens friend (NLT).

The other night, as I prayed this in preparation for meeting with a group of women, the Lord revealed to me in how much I'm the giver in this and not so much the taker.

Being the taker means I'm needing sharpening.  If I'm needing sharpening, it means I've grown dull.  And what use is a dull object?  Instead, it's dangerous.

So, my pride stands wickedly tall.  I won't fully let people in to my vulnerabilities and failures because I don't want the "advice."  I want to be able to figure it out on my own...

Solitude, especially in the midst of struggle, is a dangerous place to be.

I have well-meaning, beautiful, God-fearing women that the Lord has given me for just this reason - to keep me sharp.  To keep my focus on Him.  To realize, left to my own devices, I sink easily and quickly.

More often then not, a breath of fresh air breathes life into my weary heart once the Spirit has led me to confess, to seek, to share.
If I'm constantly giving the words and not taking any in, I've grown self-righteous, haughty and puffed up. 

I continually think over my conversations throughout the day:
Who did more of the talking?
Could the words that were said be upheld next to the Bible.  i.e. Were they gossip, did it point to the hope in Christ, was it rooted in truth?

Does it follow the guidelines of James 1:17 of what the "wisdom from above" looks like?

Far too often, I need to come down yet another notch on my pridefulness and self wisdom and be the one that graciously and humbly accepts the sharpening so I might grow.

As much as I want to be the encourager, life-giver, woman of wisdom, more times than not, I need to be the receiver instead of the giver... and in this instant, I feel that's ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment