Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Conviction of a "Maybe"

James 5:12 But above all, my brothers, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath, but let your "yes" be yes and your "no" no, so that you may not fall under condemnation.

I'll confess. I'm horrible at actually doing this verse.  I am not a woman of my word.  I've quickly fallen into the trap of "maybe" and "we'll see."  I've become undependable and untrustworthy.

A few months ago, I was deeply convicted of my selfishness when it came back and hit me square in the face.

Short detour:  I had decided to throw my first ever surprise birthday party for someone near and dear to me.  By Evite, the invites were sent out a week before hand...

Little did I know Evite shows who has viewed the invitation and when, letting you keep track of how many times it's been viewed.  So you notice that people are viewing the invite but nobody is responding...

And then, the night of, people that were "yes's" all of a sudden became "no's" or "maybe's." 

Maybe I'll be there... if I feel like it.
Maybe I'll be there... if nothing better comes along.
Maybe I'll be there... if I want to love my neighbor as myself.

Too many times, even now, I find the Lord bringing this verse to mind. Especially once I've said yes and I'm looking for a way to turn it into no.

Am I letting my yes be yes or am I doubting, being double-minded, unfaithful?

Am I seeking my own advantage or am I willing to die to myself and love others as Christ loves me?

Too often, I use an excuse.
Too often, I say maybe.
Too often, I'll go with what's easiest for me and satisfies my over-indulged heart the most.

All of it sinful, none of it glorifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment