Monday, July 23, 2012

Battling the "Overprotection"

Raising my boys in this culture of over-exposure and over-indulgence has me, hourly, praying through what is healthy and wise.

Too often, from believer and non-believers, homeschoolers and other schoolers, friends and aquaintances, I get the questions, "Aren't you just sheltering your kids?"

Truth be told, this question wears on me.  It's not asked with well-meaning intention.  It's asked with sharpness, trying to pinpoint exactly what I believe and waiting for the condemnation that because they don't do what I do, I don't want to be around them... And nothing could be further from the truth.

It wears on me because it makes me ponder my motivations. It makes me search my heart for the "why's" of anything I do pertaining to my kids.

Reading some articles this week and talking with others lead me to feel uncertain.  As always, the Lord is good and remains faithful even in my faithlessness.  A prayer I wrote down a year ago assured me of why I do what I do.

Psalm 119:9  How can a young man keep his way pure?  By guarding it according to your word.

This is why I do what I do.  I'm training them to keep their heart pure.
Of course, this means there might be certain things we don't watch or read or listen to...but it always is with a full explanation of why.

And the why is this:  We want to keep our mind stayed on Him, we want to do those things that stir our affections for Christ, we want to give them a firm foundation of truth to stand on so when the things of this world come  rushing at them, they know what to do and where to look.

So yes, in tightly controlled conversations, we've discussed sex, including homosexuality, adultery, and transgender.

Yes, we talk about other religions and their beliefs. 

And yes, they are definitely enlightened to the evils of this world, far deeper than a brother stealing a toy.  So 9/11 has been discussed as well as the recent Aurora, CO shooting.

We've grieved over the loss of Brody, Luke and Gideon.  They've seen me cry over my cancer-stricken daddy.  They've seen me and Jake say we don't know why but in the midst of despair claim God is good and He does good (Psalm 119:68).  They've seen us voice our unbelief (Mark 9) and they know they can do the same.

All four have had chances to the see (through video, picture, and missionaries) the sweet kids at Fundanino's in Guate and Naomi's Village in Kenya.  They've taken in the horror stories of why some of those children even have to be in the orphanage.

We have made it no secret the price of the war America is in and they hold soldiers in high regard and thank them for their service when we come across one.

In everything, we point them to Jesus.  We tell them of God's word and what it says about the brokenness of our world and the beautiful redemption we have now and not yet.

If this is sheltering, I'll continue to do it.  I'll do it whether they are home with me or in a different school the majority of the day.  Above all, my biggest "why" is being held accountable for the way I raised up these four very impressionable young minds. 

If I'm not teaching them, I've left it up to the world.
And the question is: Am I doing what it takes to get by for right this moment or do I have long-term (eternity) goals we steadfastly march towards.

Psalm 119:10-11  With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments!  I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

And so continually, seeking His will, asking for direction and revelation when I've gone astray -- it pushes me to the Lord, and over and over I fall into His grace and mercy.  He loves my boys far more than I ever will and is a mightier protector than I could ever hope to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment